Factory Painted and Clear Coated WheelsDecember 19, 2017
Interior CareDecember 19, 2017
Open metals like aluminum and magnesium require that you use specific cleaners, like Mothers® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner. It’s important that you have the right car cleaning equipment handy as well, to make sure the process goes smoothly. Because wheel cleaners are slightly corrosive it’s best you make use of a soft-bristled brush – and not your hands – when applying, and always make sure that the product doesn’t splatter onto any other surfaces. One minute after application, rinse thoroughly with a steady stream of water from a hose. It is important that you don’t leave the product for longer than the given time, and don’t let it dry on the wheel. This task is going to take time, so don’t commit to it if you don’t have the time. We find that going for a few short applications instead of one big one over the entire wheel gives the best results.
Please Note: Do not use Mothers® Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner on aluminum wheels because they will stain.
Once you’ve put your aluminum wheel cleaner through its paces, you can break out the car polishing kit and move on to one of our most popular products – the Mothers® Mag & Aluminum Polish – to really work up the shine that these types of wheels are known for. This polish, along with our liquid Metal Polish also works well on diamond plate and stainless steel.
Top Tips for Application
- Take a dab of polish and rub it onto a small area of the wheel until a black smudge appears on your Mothers® Microfiber Ultra-Soft Wheel & Jamb Towel
- Always work in a back-and-forth motion on metal – never circular
- Move on to a new section of the wheel with another dab of polish
- Be sure to monitor the completed sections closely – the polish shouldn’t dry
- The dark residue works as a secondary polishing agent, so don’t be in too much of a hurry to remove it
- Before completely dry, wipe polish with a clean microfiber cloth, turning frequently to get that buff going
- This process can be repeated as often as you like since there’s no clear coat to worry about burrowing through
Achieve the Ultimate Shine with Mothers® Billet PolishShould you find yourself with the time and inclination to bling up your wheels, Mothers® Billet Polish is one of the best rim cleaners for metal you could ask for. It takes a bit of time, but will leave your wheels with a showroom shine to die for.